The History & Tradition of Loretto Catholic School
Loretto Catholic School is one of the 25 Catholic Schools in the Diocese of Tucson, AZ. Located in Douglas, AZ, Loretto was constructed through a donation from Mrs. Elenita Brophy in memory of her late husband and her daughter. Her gift included both the land and the funds for the school’s construction. The school officially opened in 1924, administered by the Sisters of Loretto. The original name of the school was Loretto Catholic Central School.
In 1948, the Sisters of St. Dominic of Adrian took over the administration of the school. From 1981 to 1987, the school was managed by a lay principal. In 1987, the Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles were honored to take over administration and teaching at the school. Throughout its history, Loretto has at different times served as a grammar school, high school, and a boarding school.